International SOS is a comprehensive, 24-hour medical and emergency response organization. Services are available at no cost to individuals traveling on official university business and at a discount for traveling companions and employees traveling abroad for leisure.
International SOS works on your behalf to coordinate with your insurance provider in the United States and providers abroad to ensure that you receive the assistance you need. To access services, click HERE to log in to the secure site below and follow the instructions to print an International SOS contact card. Carry the card with you for the duration of travel.
About International SOS
- Pre-trip health information (e.g. vaccination and medical alerts)
- Assistance finding health care providers abroad including remote locations
- Emergency and routine medical advice
- Dispatch of medication and medical supplies
- Medical case management including expense guarantee and payment
- Medical claims assistance
- Emergency medical evacuation services
- Online travel security information about your destination
- Access to security crisis centers
- Security evacuation services
- Legal referrals
- Translation and interpreter assistance
- Lost document assistance (passport, visa)
- Emergency personal cash advances
International SOS and Blue Cross/Blue Shield Coverage
Click on the link below to view a quick reference guide outlining International SOS and Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage. International SOS is your first contact for assistance.
International SOS does place restrictions on the evacuation services provided from locations classified as Extreme Medical Utilization countries (examples include but not limited to Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, and North Korea). For any country considered an Extreme Medical Utilization country, there is an additional fee to insure medical evacuations and repatriations from these countries. They also place restrictions on evacuation services provided from locations classified as Extreme Security Risk countries (examples include but not limited to Afghanistan, Iraq and Somalia). For any country considered an Extreme Security Risk country, International SOS will evacuate only on a fee-for-service basis. In both cases the University is required to advise International SOS of travel to these countries in advance. International SOS has stated that they will respond if that occurs, but any evacuation would be conducted on a “best-effort” basis without the guarantees afforded to UT when traveling to other countries.
Payment of Services
- If needed, UT System Administration will work with International SOS to provide pre-payment for services required for applicable business travel
- Upon return, the traveler will complete medical insurance claim forms and payment requirements with the assistance of International SOS, System Administration and the applicable insurance provider
International SOS offers different types of individual assistance plans. UT System employees and family members receive a 20% discount for leisure travel coverage. To access services online:
- Click the link at the bottom of this page
- Click on “View the UT System International SOS Web Site”
- Enter Member Number 11BSGC000037 in the box in the upper right of the screen
- Click on Personal Travel
- Click on “Get A Quote” on the right side of the page
Call 1-800-523-8662 to talk with an International SOS representative to secure coverage. Mention that you work for The University of Texas System to obtain the 20% discount (Member ID: 11BSGC000037).
Registration allows International SOS to proactively assist in times of crisis.
- Reservations confirmed and ticketed through a UT contract travel agency are automatically registered
- Reservations confirmed and ticketed through an alternate source can be registered through the International SOS/UT System web site
- Log in below to register your travel Itinerary