UT System ‘Promise’ helps undergraduate students at UT institutions pay for college
As part of its commitment to ensure that all Texans can afford a higher education, the UT System Board of Regents in February 2022 approved the creation of a $300 million endowment.
Called “Promise Plus,” the endowment is helping thousands of undergraduate students at UT institutions earn a degree at no cost. As the endowment grows, more students will benefit year after year.
Funding from the Promise Plus endowment is distributed to students at UT Arlington, UT Dallas, UT El Paso, UT Permian Basin, UT Rio Grande Valley, UT San Antonio, Stephen F. Austin and UT Tyler.
Distributions from the Promise Plus endowment supplements funding students already receive through campus tuition assistance programs and federal and state aid.
“We are committed to increasing the affordability of a college education for more Texans by lowering the out-of-pocket cost of a UT degree for qualified students. This is an investment in our students, in public higher education and the state of Texas.”
- Board Chairman Kevin P. Eltife
- Stephen F. Austin State University officially becomes 14th member of the UT System, CBS, September 1, 2023
- You may qualify for free college tuition in Texas. Here's how to check, ABC, August 23, 2022
- Here’s how more North Texas students can attend a nearby UT System school tuition free, Dallas Morning News, March 18, 2022
- UT Tyler receives $1 million to assist transfer students with Promise Plus scholarship program, Tyler Morning Telegraph, March 14, 2022
- UTPB announces new tuition assistance program, Odessa American, March 15, 2022
- UT San Antonio will get $3M a year to expand free tuition after endowment announcement, San Antonio Express-News, March 14, 2022
- UT Tyler to receive part of $300 million for Promise Plus program to help students pay tuition, KETK-TV, March 14, 2022
- UT announces new tuition assistance endowment, Valley Morning Star, March11, 2022
- UT System’s new Promise Plus program to cover $55 million in tuition for UTEP students in need, Texas Standard, March 11, 2022
- $300M University of Texas endowment to help more students afford college, including at UTEP, El Paso Times, March 10, 2022
- UT System creates $300 million endowment to help seven universities expand free tuition programs, Texas Tribune, February 24, 2022