Subsite Page Title

Prior State Service & Leave Balances

Main page content

Please note, this page pertains only to employees of UT System Administration. If you're beginning your career at a UT academic or health institution, please contact the HR office at your institution for assistance.

State service credit is earned when you work for a State of Texas agency or a Texas public institution of higher education. State service impacts your vacation leave accrual rate and longevity pay. If you transferred to UT System from another state agency, your vacation and sick leave accruals may be eligible for transfer. Generally, vacation will transfer if it was not paid out at your former agency/institution. Sick will transfer if your hire date at UT System is within 12 months of your separation date from your former agency/institution.

If you have questions regarding whether previous employment counts toward your state service credit, refer to the Texas State Agencies list.

Employment at an independent school district or community college in Texas does not qualify as state service credit for annual leave and longevity purposes, even though this employment often qualifies as creditable service with Teacher Retirement System.

State of Texas Retirees

If you are retired from a State of Texas agency, please notify immediately. Please include your retirement date, the state agency you worked for and the retirement system from which you retired: Teacher Retirement System (TRS), Employee Retirement System (ERS), Optional Retirement Program (ORP) or other.

UT System does not automatically receive information about your state service history, so be sure your state service record is complete and correct.

How to Transfer Prior State Service & Leave Balances

1. Review the instructions.

2. Send the Prior State Service Verification form to each state agency where you were previously employed. Be sure to enter your name, employee ID and start date on the top row of the verification form. Your previous employer will return the form to the Office of Talent & Innovation.

3. If sending via fax, a prepared fax cover is available for use.

4. The Office of Talent & Innovation will contact you once the service time and leave balances have been received and entered.