Giving back to our community is an important componet of living a wellness lifestyle. UT System Administration Wellness has created System Service that provides opportunities for our employees to serve the community in which we live, work and play. Read below for ongoing volunteer opportunities.
: Want to make a difference during your lunch break? Volunteer for Meals on Wheels and More! When you volunteer for Meals on Wheels and More during your lunch hour, you’re doing your part to guarantee meals are delivered to the almost 5,000 people in need in the Austin area. You can volunteer to deliver meals once a week or once a month – whatever works best for you!
Meals on Wheels and More volunteers deliver hot, nutritious lunch-time meals to the homes of eight to twelve homebound elderly or disabled clients who can no longer prepare balanced meals for themselves. Volunteers arrive at the Central Kitchen at 3227 E. 5th St., 78702 between 11:00-11:45 to pick up the meals then head out to their route. The time from meal collection to the final delivery usually takes about one hour. Contact Trish Meloncon for information on the UT System Friday routes.
Why should I volunteer with Meals on Wheels?
- It is easy to sign up and get started: The first steps to become a Meals on Wheels volunteer include filling out an application and watching the training video on our volunteer site. You are welcome to join one of our delivery teams on Wednesday or Friday to see how it works.
- You can meet a co-worker: Volunteers are from different departments at UT System Administration and it’s a great way to meet some of your co-workers.
- You will make a difference in someone’s day and life: You may be the only person the clients will see or talk to all day. By delivering meals you bring nutritious food and a friendly visit to seniors and people with disabilities in our community.
How do I volunteer?
- Let Trisha Meloncon know you are interested. You can ride along with a volunteer to learn more about the process and when ready, sign up as a volunteer.
- When ready to sign up as a volunteer, complete the 2 part MOW Application at: https://secure.mealsonwheelsandmore.org/volunteer/step1.php
- Watch the MOWAM Training Video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Au7q_Ini0&feature=youtu.be
- Send copies of your Driver’s License and auto liability insurance to Joshua Wisch at: firstname.lastname@example.org, with a copy to Paige Buechley at UT System Administration. After which, you will be granted access to the System MOW SharePoint site
- Sign up for routes/dates, use your SNAC to log in to System MOW SharePoint site: https://commons.utsystem.edu/utservice/mowam
- Click the Route on the Calendar, then Edit Item (not Edit Series), enter your name and whether you are the Driver or Rider in the Title then Save. It is sometimes easier to sign up as a Rider at 1st to get a tutorial the process. Route maps are on our SharePoint site indicating the clients’ residences or at least the general neighborhood/street locations.
- Coordinate with your co-MOW Driver/Rider when/where to meet. Meals are picked up from the Central Kitchen, 3227 E. 5th Street. The driver must bring 2 insulated MOW bags – 1 for hot foods; 1 for cold foods. Upon arrival, sign in at the self-serve system for the appropriate route by selecting the route then your name. MOW staff will provide you with the delivery client list (with addresses) and meals.
To read more about MOWAM and other opportunities offered visit http://www.mealsonwheelsandmore.org/.